Throughout 2019 we can enjoy the advantages and possibilities of WIFI 6. Do you know what it is and what are its improvements for companies and Internet users? Learn more about the evolution of wireless networks and their possibilities in this post.
When we talk about WIFI 6, we are referring to a new wireless network standard, which was announced last October by WI-FI Alliance. The announcement of WIFI 6 supposes a new way to denominate the wireless network standard.
Let’s start by taking up what we reported last October, which is a brief summary of what the various generations indicate:
- Wi-Fi 4 : 802.11n (2009) – up to 300 Mb / s (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz)
- Wi-Fi 5 : 802.11ac (2013) – up to 3.5 Gb / s (5 GHz)
- Wi-Fi 6 : 802.11ax (2018) – up to 9.6 Gb / s (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz)
Advantages of Wi-Fi 6
These three standards will coexist throughout 2019, while devices and routers are updated to the new possibilities of WIFI 6 that were presented last January.
- New technologies obviously bring new advantages; the first and most important of Wi-Fi 6 is certainly the speed factor that reaches bands up to 1.2 GB per second.
- In addition, Wi-Fi 6 is designed to manage crowded networks in a much more efficient way than Wi-Fi 5.
- Thanks to the implementation of technologies such as MU-MIMO and OFDMA. With this, it can decrease latency and provides a much better experience in applications such as streaming, video calls, shared desktop tasks.
- Another advantage of WIFI 6 is its lower power consumption thanks to the TWT (Target Wake-up Time).
- In security point of view, WIFI 6 is fully prepared to support the WPA3 protocol that will make your wireless connection much safer.
What devices Wi-Fi 6 will arrive ?
Till date, only a few devices support this new protocol like Samsung Galaxy S10. However, having a smartphone or PC with Wi-Fi 6 is not enough. To fully exploit the protocol you must also have a compatible router.
However, we are still at the beginning and as the times passes, prices will fall and lower-end solutions will arrive. So, lets take some more time to update Wi-Fi 6.