A VPN (Virtual Private Network) is a type of software that allows you to establish a secure and encrypted connection between your device and the server to which you connect. When you turn on a VPN, it improves the security and privacy of your navigation. Another very popular VPN benefit is that you can change the location from which you connect. It means that you can see Netflix content from another country, for example, by skipping the geographical lock.
Getting and installing a VPN on your computer is a very simple process that is worthwhile. So read our steps carefully to know how to install and configure a VPN on your computer.
Free VPN or Paid VPN?
There are two main types of VPN: those that are free and those that require a paid subscription. Both have their benefits. Obviously, the benefit of the free option is the price, while the paid version has as some extra tools that can be very useful. If you are interested in a free VPN, we recommend TunnelBear or Windscribe.
A free VPN is a very beneficial way to start experimenting with this type of services, although there are reports that question the total security of a free VPN. Bearing this in mind, we recommend using a paid VPN, since, in addition to coming with free trial periods, they usually offer very competent prices. Therefore we recommend you to go for NordVPN or ExpressVPN.
Opera Browser As VPN
A very simple way to use a VPN is to download the Opera browser. Besides being a very efficient and fast web browser, it offers a free VPN service installed in the browser itself. Once you have installed Opera, you will only have to click on the ‘Menu‘ icon in the upper left corner, then ‘Settings> Privacy and security’, and check the box on VPN in the window that opens. Once you activate this option, you can surf safely online.
Use A Paid VPN
If you still need a Paid version that works on all your devices, then subscribe to a VPN service. As we explained above, some of our favorites are NordVPN and ExpressVPN. In this article, we will use the ExpressVPN VPN as an example.
- When the download has been made, double-click on the file and follows the instructions that will appear on the screen to install the VPN. When you have finished this process click on ‘Register’ or ‘Start’.
- If you click on the second option, the Express VPN web page will open a payment plan and configure your profile. The company offers thirty-day money back guarantee.
- All plans start with a seven-day trial period, which means you do not have to pay from the beginning.
- When you have created your account, an activation code will be sent to you. Copy it and return to the ExpressVPN program and click on the ‘Log in’ button. Copy the activation code.
- You will be asked if you want the app to start automatically. Choose what suits you best.
- Finally, a huge power button will appear that turns the VPN on and off. Next, to it, you will see the option ‘Choose location‘, which allows you to specify the country where your server is located.
The option of localization is very useful since sometimes servers have a lot of traffic and slow down the connection. Therefore, by changing it you can accelerate the speed. Also, if you want to see content from other countries, you can connect from a server located in that country to access the content.
When you have chosen the country or location from which you want to connect, you will only have to click on the power button and your connection will be secure immediately. It will not matter from the browser that you connect, security is assured.